One of the fun items we got to install in our floor system is a steel beam where our bedroom wall ends. This aligns with one edge of our flat roof so it needed to be beefier than a standard TJI.
Originally we were going to use a large engineered timber but that would require us to notch a pocket in our foundation wall and frankly we just forgot to do it.
So our engineer told us to use steel and steel we used! This was quite a group effort as we had to move it into place by many hands when the company never delivered our crane – grrrr.
We also ran into a minor flub when 2 weeks after fully installing the beam, Kori asked how the floor was going to attach at this point and I realized we installed the beam 11-7/8 inches lower than it was supposed to be. Sigh. So back to the engineer and a solution to raise the beam back to its rightful place. I’m sure this is what was meant for the saying of measure twice.